Thursday, February 4, 2010

This morning I slipped out for my walk very early, leaving the house before Jim left for work. It started to mist just as I was getting close to the lake. I continued my trek around the lake, with my hood pulled tightly, and returned home while it was still dark. That is my perfect walk. When walking in the dark, you are not distracted by all the sights. Instead I can focus intently on the sounds without the explanation of sight. I cross a small bridge during my walk, and sometimes I can hear water flowing beneath. Today the sound was very faint and I could not see the movement, but I heard the soft fall of water.

I heard a train in the distance, and strangely, it reminded me of Florida. I heard ducks but could not see them bobbing in the water. I heard birds flitting in the trees and calling from the roof tops, but again, only the sound came to me. My eyes could discern only the silhouette of trees and buildings in the background.

It has rained all day and I have been in and out several times. I realize now, at the end of my day, that I did not take the time to listen again. To look at the sky, to watch the trees and the clouds. And it reminds me how I get caught up in my day and forget to pay attention. To be in the Now. To be in the Moment.

So I am grateful that today I walked. I am grateful for my hearing and my eyesight. And I am grateful that I have a new day coming right after sun up with another opportunity to watch and to listen.

Here's to the Journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment