Friday, February 26, 2010

I have spent several hours today reading a book that a friend gave me. My friend is the mother of four children, 6 years and under, and wife to a man who has crazy work hours. The book is titled The Proper Care and Feeding of a Husband. This is not a book I would have chosen to read at this point in my life, but am reading because she asked me to.

However, in my reading, I have had many mixed emotions. I am not recommending this book to anyone. I just wanted to write about the emotions I experienced while reading this today. Jim and I have been married 35 years, and so many of the struggles that we had as a young couple have become a faded memory. Yet I tried to think of what was most important to us and I think I have a pretty good list that we did our best to live up to.

To respect each other always.
To be honest with each other always.
To not be afraid to express love to each other.
To not let others tell us how we, as a couple, should live our lives.

To me, getting married is the most wonderful thing that happened in my life. I was only 18 when I met Jim, and up to that point, my only criteria for a husband was that I wanted a man with "hair on his chest". I have no idea where this desire for hair came from, but I envisioned myself married to such a man. I was lucky in that I married a man who had goals, financially, emotionally and physically. He knew he wanted to be married, provide for his wife and children, and enjoy life. All of this sounds so easy and wonderful, but accomplishing this is no small task. Much blood, sweat and tears go into a successful marriage. And much laughter is needed for a happy marriage.

I do not envy the young mothers today trying to balance so much, or the newlyweds with their hearts still soaring wildly. I love where I am. I am grateful for all the struggles and the successes we experienced as a couple and as a family. I am grateful for the disappointments and the triumphs that we experienced together, and I am grateful for my own growth and maturity.

And I LOVE lying in bed, with my hand laying gently across Jim's chest. He has the most beautiful chest, just as I envisioned as a young girl. And I feel the most loved when my hand is resting on his chest.

Here's to the Journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment