Friday, January 7, 2011

Writing Practice

I give time each day to a writing practice. I have decided to change my handwriting - because I can, and because I realize that my writing needs a little re-vamping. As I slow my hand to make my letters with more precision, my writing looks like that of a young girl, just learning cursive after years of printing. My letters and words are awkward, my lines go all over the place, some times the letters are correct, sometimes not so much.

Still, I love the challenge of changing the way my brain wants to automatically make these letters. Letters that I have written since first grade, letters that I see and read each day, letters that fill my dozens of dictionaries. It is funny to watch my hand resist this new motion, wanting to go to the familiar, automatically falling back to my old style if I lessen my attention in the slightest way.

So my writing practice has turned into another opportunity to be present. As I laboriously clutch my fine point pen, as my shoulder and neck tenses, I take a deep breath, relax my grip, soothe my shoulder and neck muscles, and slowly breathe life into my writing.

Here's to the Ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment