Sunday, January 2, 2011

The Day After

For me, the day after New Year's always brings another new beginning. My birthday is the second day of the year, and so I find two consecutive days of introspection and inspection.

This year, as I begin my 56th year, I feel blessed beyond dreams. I have so much to be grateful for, including family, health, husband and so much more. However, my gratefulness extends beyond the physical to the personal growth, expansion and the contrast that I experienced during my 55th year. I am at peace with all of my life decisions. I am at peace with the road that has led me to here. I am at peace with this number that signifies nothing -yet encompasses everything.

I spent my day in nature. Jim and I packed a picnic and hiked some trails at a local park. We detoured off the trail for a while, and as my mind raced at not knowing where and which way, I realized that Jim had no qualms about where and which way. He knew! No doubt, no second guessing, just moving through the woods, following deer tracks. When we came upon about 2 dozen deer, again, he knew we were going to do this! I relaxed my mind, and trusted that even though I had not wondered woods like this, for Jim it was the most natural thing to be doing - and it was certainly more fun that a track that thousands have walked.

I believe life is like that. We can stay on a path that everyone has trod, or we can forge our way in the forest. I have always assumed that I chose the path less traveled, but I was reminded today that my protesting often leads me away from that less traveled path. It takes courage to choose a different path. Yet there is Joy in leaving the well known trail.

This 56th year will offer me many paths. I intend to be open to the new ways. I pray that if I waver, strength will be provided, courage will be given, and new trails will be mine. This year is going to be a great and joyful ride!

Here's to the Ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment