Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The Ritual of Writing

I am continuing my writing practice each day, and the letters are finally getting easier to make. Today is number 16 in my count to 40 days of practice, so I am not quite half way there. I have made changes to all of the letters I write, so it has been challenging at the very least, exhilarating at the very most. As I grab a pen to write, my brain wants to do it one way, and my hand wants to do it another way. So I am learning patience with myself. As I sign my name for a credit card purchase, it becomes a slow process as my brain tries to convince my hand of the new way to write my name.

My journal writing has become (first of all, legible) a lesson in discovery. Turning each page "landscape" instead of "portrait" with no lines to guide me. Leaving a margin on the left, top and bottom. Sloping my lines of words upwards - ever so slightly. Looking up the meaning of letters so I understand why I struggle to make them this new way.

And in the end, pages and pages of letters, words, signatures, yet so much more. I feel like I pour my heart into these letters now. I identify a part of me every time I practice the letter A. I sit taller as I practice my I's and my T's. I catch myself pausing to breathe consciously as I write my T - h's. I understand that I am growing (at least on the inside) as I practice this ritual of writing.

I am changing my writing..........and my writing is changing me.

Here's to the Ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment