Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Today I continued my quest to mark my territory. I painted, scrubbed the grout of my tiled floors, and caulked and sanded walls and trim. I dropped everything when Liz called and asked me to come and "hang out" with her and the boys. Within 2 seconds of walking in her door, I had 3 boys hugging me, and my heart sang with Joy.

But tonight, as I checked my emails, I was taught a lesson in Joy. I received an email from my Mom informing me that my Aunt Thelma's 66th birthday was today. So I called her to wish her a happy birthday. She had her last of several Chemo treatments today. The doctors and nurses threw her a birthday party including a gold and silver boa and a tiara for her bald head. They brought her a sheet cake to share with the other patients and her family and she went on and on about her wonderful day and how much Joy she was blessed with. And as she spoke, I remembered visiting her in December when I made my trip north. She had just had her second leg amputated, and was in tremendous pain in the hospital. Yet she made us smile. Her sense of humor boggles the mind under these circumstances.

I talked with Aunt Thelma a year ago January when I was up north. Aunt Thelma attended my baptism when I was 5 years old. She always told me that I looked like an angel in my white baptismal robe. She has always told me that I am beautiful. After talking with her, I felt compelled to write a letter to her telling her that I considered her one of my Angels. At a time in my life when I felt I had no where to turn, she provided food and shelter. I lived with her and her family for a short time after meeting Jim. She always loved me, and she has never judged me.

I see now that Aunt Thelma is an Angel to many people. Her Joy, her Laughter, her Love permeates all that know her. I feel blessed to have had this wonderful person in my life. And even though I don't see or talk to her often, I know that my life is more Joyful because of her.

Life is Joyful with people you love.

Here's to the Journey!


No comments:

Post a Comment