Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Marking My Territory


Today I began marking my territory. Until now, we have always either designed and built a new home or remodeled an existing home. Either way, a lot of blood sweat and tears, (aka hard work) went into the home before we declared it truly ours. This home in Tennessee is different. It does not need any remodeling - yet I must do something to make it mine. So today I began the task of painting. Beginning with the trim in the master bath, I applied a fresh coat of paint, and as I painted, I felt that I was beginning to "own" the house.

I have always liked to paint. I am not an artist, and have trouble drawing a stick person. But I do love to paint a room. I have a file of color palette's for most of the past 25 years of house renovations and construction. I have colors from our Michigan, Indiana and Florida homes. Each color tells me a story of a connection to a house, and the memories that I made there with my family.

I have been known to paint a room, and immediately go back to the paint store for a different color. But usually, when I take my time choosing a color, it is a color that makes me feel good, and somehow lasts. So tonight, as I crawled around the master bath on my hands and knees, learning the contours and crevices, the nooks and crannies, I felt Joyful knowing that soon, with my paint brush in hand, I will have touched every square inch of this house. I will have marked my territory here in Tennessee, and it will be mine - filled with Joy and laughter - for a little while.

Here's to the Journey!

1 comment: