Monday, March 22, 2010

One of my earliest childhood memories comes from when I was 4 years old. We, my two brothers and me, were riding with Dad to pick Mom up at the hospital. She had delivered baby number 4 and boy number 3. When she got in the car with Kenneth, who was only a few days old, we were all peering over the back of the seat to get a look at this "baby thing". To this day, I recall that he opened his eyes while I was looking at him and stuck his tongue out at me. My Mom told me that it meant he liked me a lot. I like to believe that.

Yesterday, Kenneth would have been 51 years old yet he passed at the young age of 22. I am startled to think of him being 51 and can only imagine him as a little brother barely past his teens. Before he passed I got to see glimpses of the young man he had become and I feel blessed for those memories.

But I have more memories of all 4 of us kids playing together, tag, cowboys and indians, climbing trees, eevy ivy over, ice skating, bike riding, jumping off the shed when Mom said not to and so much more. And I recall laughter. I recall fist fights and name calling, hair pulling and shin kicking. And I recall love.

I feel blessed to have known Kenneth for that short time. I feel blessed that he comes to me now - in the wind, in a thought, in a touch. I know now that he really, really did like me and I like to believe that he is one of my family's guardian angels.

Thank you Kenneth! with love.

Here's to the Journey!

1 comment:

  1. Sandy I thought of him too since March 21st is also Devon's birthday! Sweet 16.....see you soon!! I love you!

    ReplyDelete