Sunday, October 3, 2010

Vermont........

We have spent the day touring Vermont. We found the second highest mountain, Mt. Killington, and rode a gondola to the top of the lift and then climbed the rest of the way to the very tip top. Someone offered to take a picture of Jim and I sitting on the edge of the mountain and I can't wait to post it when we get home. It was amazing to sit at the top of what felt like the world and look out over the beauty of the earth. There were only more mountains for as far as we could see.

As we drove thru mountains today and sat at the top of Killington, I have been trying to think of words to describe the beauty of this place. Last week I bought a Websters dictionary at an antique store. The dictionary was printed in 1934 and I search through it for the right words - and they do not come. Amazing! Beautiful! Breathtaking! Gorgeous! Yet none of these words describe the gold and red and green we see looking at the forest. It doesn't even come close to describing the feeling of touching the top of a 100 foot pine tree as we climb the mountain. I stood in the forest today by the Quechee Gorge and layed my hands on the bark of a tree. A tree that has been there for more than 80 years. With deep grooves in its bark. With years of growth and beauty and strength. And I marvel at such beauty. I feel just a flash of the strength that stands before me. And I think of how lucky I am to enjoy this right now.

And I think back to pieces of God. All of this beauty that has at times stopped both me and Jim in our tracks, surrounds us completely. And I know that I am a piece of this too. I know that I am blessed for seeing this. I am blessed for feeling this.

Here's to the Journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment