Sunday, July 25, 2010

Sunday Visit

When I was a young girl, my family would always hurry home from Sunday School, Mom would make her delicious fried chicken dinner with all the trimmings, and then we would just kind of laze away the afternoon until time for church again that evening. I remember many of those afternoons were times when family and friends would come and visit us. All of us kids usually played outside because there was so much to do. We lived next to miles and miles of woods and most of our visitors had never lived so close to the "wild". We had worn a path to a pond across the railroad tracks and over Old Chicago Road where you could swim or fish. In the spring we would pick wild strawberries on the way to the pond. But we always spent time playing in the woods.

These memories came to mind this morning as I was fixing breakfast and the doorbell rang. Jim and I had a lazy sleep in morning and had just finished our first cup of coffee at 10:00 am. We both went to the door and was greeted by Rollin first - he always runs to my door. Next came Tucker with a great big hug and then Fynneus sauntered (slowly) up the drive and into the house followed by Liz. After hugs and greetings, we invited them to join us for breakfast (second one for them) and Rollin and Fynneus happily agreed. After breakfast we played several rounds of animal Bingo on the living room floor, and I made up stories for Tucker and Rollin. "The Little Boy Who Made Friends With A Wolf" and "The Little Boy Who Always Forgot to Say Thank You" and "The Little Boys Who Liked to Race BMX" and a few more. They stayed a while longer, I packed sandwiches for their ride home and then they were gone.

All of this made me think of how special it is to live close to family and for them to stop by - unannounced - on a Sunday just because. I want Tucker, Rollin and Fynneus to have good memories of Sunday visits at my house. And I know this is a tradition they will carry on years from now with their children. Family getting together - no matter the day. Always knowing they are welcome with open and loving arms! Joy is passing on the traditions!

Here's to the Journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment