Saturday, June 26, 2010

A New Dictionary

Our electric was out for a while yesterday, so my computer was shut down and I did not get to write my Joy.

Joy is a new dictionary.

Jim brought me a "new" dictionary yesterday. I knew it was old and I quickly looked in the front for the copyright date. It was printed in 1965 and is Webster's Seventh New Collegiate Dictionary by A. Merriam-Webster. I quickly lay the dictionary on my table, opened it to a page and I lay my hand on the pages saying to myself "I want to absorb these words".

I did all of this so quickly that I did not even realize my ritual until it was over. I love words. I love the way we all can use them. We can tell tales and stories of hope, desire, and love. We can manipulate the words of truth or lies until they fit our ears better. I love the expression that they add to our lives, I LOVE words. I love touching a dictionary. I love holding this priceless book with so many words, so many meanings. I love to look up the definition of a regular word that I use all the time. I love the reinforcement the meaning adds to my life. YES - this is the word I was looking for. This is the right word.

Joy (from my 1965 Dictionary) The emotion evoked by well-being, success, or good fortune, or by the prospect of possessing what one desires: Delight.

Joy (from my 2007 American Heritage College Dictionary) Intense and ecstatic or exultant happiness. The expression or manifestation of such feeling. A source or object of pleasure or satisfaction. To take great pleasure, rejoice. To enjoy.

Indeed I have the right words for this Journey of Joy that I have commenced and that I have promised to write. This Journey is everything I hoped it would be, and the Joy is exactly as defined in my dictionaries.

Here's to the Journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment