Tuesday, May 31, 2011


I have been in Knoxville for the past several days - without my computer. I have missed writing so much and kept thinking of all the things I would write about if my internet were available. Jim and I have spent so much time exploring the mountains and nearby areas. On saturday we drove the "dragon's tail" switch backs from Tennessee into North Carolina, and this picture was taken looking out from the Appalachian Trail.

We spent days in the mountains, me in a lawn chair reading, Jim wading the rivers and fishing. There is so much beauty to take in that at times it is mind boggling. I gaze at sky, at trees, at water, at mountains, and I can't get enough. I breathe them in - filling my lungs and my body with their beauty, and still I want more.

On Sunday I sat my lawn chair in the middle of a river, an old road that use to lead to a visitor center before they built a bridge, propping my feet on a rock, trying to read, yet finding it hard to take my eyes off the beauty that surrounded us. The water flowing fast over my feet - the sound of falling water filling my head.

I stand in amazement of my enthrallment of the mountains. Just as I never imagined living by the ocean as we did in Florida, I never imagined living by mountains. Yet in each location I find that I am captivated by the beauty, by the stillness - yet the aliveness of each area.

Last Friday evening we discovered Allison's Catfish restaurant and farm. What a thrill. The best catfish ever, gazing at the mountains and the waterfalls, and planning our next trip back to this place.

On Monday we walked the old World's Fair park in downtown Knoxville and stumbled upon a beautiful coffee shop called "Coffee and Chocolate". Love Love Love - at first sight. Delicious coffee with a dark chocolate expresso cookie. Love Love Love!

We found a smokey mountain brewery, a wood fired brick oven pizza shop, numerous ice cream places, theaters, a ball room dancing studio, (on my to do list) antique shops galore, an outdoor movie theater - right across town from us, (we're gonna put the top down on Alice, have popcorn and coke and enjoy a night like the good old days!)

We are eagerly anticipating more exploring, more discoveries, and so much more beauty. And we are so enjoying the ride!


Here's to the Ride! .....and it's a damn good ride!!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment