Saturday, December 25, 2010

Christmas 2010

I have opened my heart this Christmas, and Jim and I now have a new puppy in our home. We have named him John Wayne and he is the most calm puppy I have ever known. I have been hesitant for a long time about having a dog in our house, and although Jim is an avid animal lover, he has always been considerate of my feelings - so we have been with out a dog in our family for about 10 years.

Now the time feels right. I know there are some lessons to be learned, teachings to be taught - and I don't mean for the dog. This is going to be a wonderful opportunity for expansion for myself in areas that I never dreamed possible. I have always thought it strange that dogs (and most animals) have always been attracted to me. Jim is the animal lover, yet dogs would usually come to me first and try to be my friend and I would shoo them away. Now I am letting myself love this dog the way he loves me - and while it is a new feeling, it does feels natural.

And of course, John Wayne has taken to our whole family like a duck to water. He loves our grandsons and Jenn & Liz. He sits by Thad's feet, cuddles in Jim's lap, and follows me around the kitchen. His gentleness to our family touches my heart, and makes me glad that we have welcomed him to our family.

Tonight, as the family was playing games, Fynneus said: "I love John Wayne." Rollin piped in and said "I love John Wayne too, and he is my best friend." Fynneus agreed about the "best friend" part, and I smiled a big smile that only comes from an open heart!

I love my family (including John Wayne) and I am so glad that this Christmas has found us all together, savoring the good times.

Here's to the Ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment