Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Building Joy!




I have not written for two days, but that doesn't mean I have been neglecting Joy in my life. On Sunday Rollin and Tucker joined Jim and myself for a trip to Big Mill Pond State Park. It was noon when we arrived, so I put Jim and the boys to work to build a fire and I set the picnic table for lunch. As we ate, we stood by the fire trying to keep warm (36 degrees this day) and moved in and out of the smoke.

After lunch, Jim and Tucker and Rollin hiked to the restrooms and filled four plastic glasses with water and hiked all the way back to our picnic area to put out the fire. In the meantime, I made the fire even bigger in an effort to warm them and myself before we set out for the 3 mile hike to the Fire Tower. I admit it was very cold, but I am so glad we spent this day outside.

After we made it to the fire tower, we climbed on rocks - shown above, and looked for caves where animals might be hiding. We watched deer move towards our path and then spook and run away. We pitched rocks, sat on logs, marked our trees (all the boys) and occasionally stopped to just listen. It was a glorious day. On the drive home, Rollin drifted off to sleep immediately, and Tucker sang until he too fell asleep.

As for me, I have been reflecting on the Joy of this one day - spent in nature. It nurtures my soul to stand among trees and look at the sky. It lifts my spirit to see deer - in their beauty - enjoying the gifts of nature. It builds Joy in my life that sustains me until I can again stand by the trees - or under the stars - or in the wind. Taking in life!

Here's to the Ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment