Tuesday, September 7, 2010

My first poem...

As I walked this morning, I thought about how long I have wanted to write. I thought about this passion I have for writing and tried to trace it back to a "beginning". I remember always reading, always spending my school lunch break in the library looking for a book, or just sitting and reading. I loved when teachers would give us writing assignments, and I also loved memorizing my papers to present them orally. My first writing that I can recall occurred in fifth grade. The school was holding a contest for the best poem for Mother's Day. This is what I wrote:

Words cannot explain
what my Mother means to me,
Words cannot explain
why her love is so sweet.
Words cannot explain
why I love her so dear,
Words cannot explain
so I'll have to shed a tear.

And I won!!!!! I won a complete meal at McDonalds - Cheese burger, french fries AND a milk shake! (Keep in mind that back then, McDonalds was a big deal - and it was way, way before happy meals!)

So here I sit at my computer, hoping to write something meaningful today in my book, and I smile at this small poem and at the encouragement I received to pursue my dream.

Maybe I will reward myself today with a complete meal at McDonalds - and take with me the encouragement I felt all those years ago - Yes! I can write! I am a writer! I have won awards for my writing!

Here's to the Journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment