Sunday, January 8, 2012

A Walk In The Woods

Jim and I spent the day cleaning house, doing laundry and many more mundane house hold chores. Then we headed to Gaffney, South Carolina for a little shopping and a trip to Starbucks. On the way home we made several detours to check out towns that we had not been to before - always on the look out for a new adventure.

We saw an exit for King's Mountain National Military Park and decided we had time for one more detour before we headed home for dinner. I'm so glad we made this last stop. We drove into the park for a few miles and stopped at the visitor's center. Jim went in to get info about the park - hiking trails, camping, picnic area and so on and I kept John Wayne busy outside. When Jim joined us we realized that we only had 20 minutes before the park closed but really wanted to walk in the woods. So we headed off towards a battlefield area.

The leaves were wet and soft under our feet, the air damp with an afternoon mist. The sky was covered in thick grey clouds, but as we stepped into the woods, a wonderful peacefulness greeted us and I felt great appreciation for the beauty of this place. We walked leisurely along a trail and turned around and headed back to the car - and yet that peacefulness lingered with us. I felt so good that I had spent those short 20 minutes in nature for somehow I felt connected to what so many call God. I felt at one with all the beauty that nature lovingly lays out for us. I felt a peace that transformed my day from joy to JOY! Just by taking 20 minutes to walk in the woods.

Here's to the Good Life!

No comments:

Post a Comment