Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Let's Play Golf


This morning I cleaned my golf clubs - which haven't been used since June 18, 2005. I found a receipt for the last time that I played golf with Jim in Vero Beach, Florida and my clubs have been stored away since then. However, after finding a beautiful golf course in the mountains, my desire to golf has been renewed.

Yet as I cleaned each club this morning, I was reminded of the many times we did play, especially when we lived in Michigan. We golfed some of the most beautiful courses there, and often with friends - and wonderful friendships that continue until this day. In fact, I can't wait for Deb and Steve to come and play in the mountains with us. Deb is the one who convinced me to take up golf back in the late 80's and we had some wonderful times on the many courses we played. We took a golf vacation to Crystal mountain and Sugar Loaf. We played Jack Nicklaus's famous course, The Bear. We played The Links at Whitehall and one of my favorites was Bennona - playing through a beautiful orchard of apple, pear, peach and plum trees. We played when staying at Turkey Run and I made my first hole in one - most amazing! We played the Pines, the Channel, and on Amelia Island. We played in Jamaica while celebrating our 20th anniversary. We played in Grand Cayman, Cozumel and so many more that I can't recall all the names.

But maybe the most amazing was recalling these memories today by the simple task of cleaning my clubs. Remembering dear friends, recalling the day I got the new clubs and bag from Jenn and Liz (and Jim) on Mother's day. My favorite clubs are my 5 iron, my 7 iron and my 3 wood. I remember practicing with my putter over and over - and still not able to"read" the greens. But this I do remember - I have spent many joyful hours at a golf course and I am looking forward now to new memories, new stories, and new courses to play!

Here's to keeping it in the fairway!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment