Sunday, November 18, 2012

Sparking Memories

On Saturday, Jim and I finally hauled everything we own to Louisville.  We made two trips to Madison and wrapped the day up with all of our belongings in the same state.  To accomplish this we spent 4 hours driving yesterday which allowed us lots of time to check out the radio stations.  Jim found a station that is already playing only Christmas music so we sang Christmas Carols until we were bored with those.  On the second leg of the trip, Jim pulled up a station for country legends.  I rarely listen to country music now, but years ago I knew most of the songs word for word. So I was surprised as these songs came on and I knew them.  I still remembered the words, the singer's names but most importantly, what I was doing at the time that I listened to those songs.

The memories that came to me were memories of living in Indiana with our two young daughters.  Jim often worked long days and evenings, and on those evenings I would get Jenn & Liz to bed and I would spread fabric out to make dresses for the girls - usually for the holidays such as Easter and Christmas.  I would pin and cut and sew and all the time I would be singing along to WJJD country music radio out of Chicago.  Tammy, Loretta, Tanya, Conway, Merle, Willie and so many more - making the evening pass quickly and providing entertainment as I spun my creative talents into the fabric.


I don't sew very often these days but I was grateful for the music that sparked these memories.  Memories of a young family, memories of sewing with love, memories of music that filled my days and my nights, but most of all, memories that allowed me a glance back in time to see the beauty of my life, and the beauty of Jenn and Liz!

Here's to the Good Life!

No comments:

Post a Comment